Thursday 20 November 2008

Binnorie - Sign3

Yet another extension to the sign project; we had to choose a fairytale out of about 5 without looking and then make five images to sum the story up. My story was about two princesses and the older marries with hunk of a prince and then he falls for the younger more beautiful princess with rosy cheeks and gold dress, so the older throws her in the river of Binnorie and she drowns. Then some guys who work at the mill pull her out, she's dead, but a travelling harp player makes a sweet harp out of her breast bone and her hair, plays it to the royals (including the older princess and prince etc) and it starts playing on its own and sings about how did died, grassing the older princess in. Started in the sketchbook...

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

The catch here was that we had to use our 'visual kit' that we had been compiling right from the beginning with our universe. I saw my kit as being collected tectures and fabrics and materials because I like to use that in my work, but instead of actually making with the real things, I began photocopying all these textures in black and white and collaging with them. As I began this stage of the project I built up a huge collection from fabric and weave and knit and felt books in the library and used them to portray swirls in a river or stone buildings or trees. Keeping the shapes and figures etc simplified I think it worked really well and was a useful experiment.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

No comments: